Don’t Ignore That Musty Smell: Why Your AC Needs a Professional Clean
Are you ignoring that musty smell coming from your AC? It’s easy to dismiss it as a minor inconvenience, but did you know it could indicate a bigger problem lurking within your air conditioning system? Regular cleaning and maintenance of your AC unit are essential for ensuring optimal performance and keeping the air in your home healthy. This blog post will explore why neglecting professional air conditioner cleaning can lead to costly repairs and health hazards. So sit back, grab a cold drink, and learn more about the importance of maintaining clean air conditioning systems!
Reasons for a Musty Smell in Your AC
If you’ve noticed a musty smell coming from your AC, having a professional inspect and clean your unit as soon as possible is important. A musty smell is often a sign of mould or mildew growth, which can cause serious health problems if left unchecked.
Mould and mildew thrive in humid environments, so your AC unit is a prime target for growth. If your AC isn’t properly maintained, moisture can build up inside the unit and create the perfect conditions for mould and mildew to grow. In addition to causing a musty smell, mould and mildew can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and other health problems.
A professional AC cleaning will remove any mould or mildew growth from your unit and help prevent future growth. Ensure a qualified technician cleans your AC at least once yearly to keep your home healthy and smelling fresh.
Benefits of Professional Air Con Cleaning
Your air conditioner works hard to keep your home cool and comfortable during the hot summer. However, your AC can develop a musty smell if it isn’t properly cleaned. This is caused by mould and mildew growth within the unit, which can indicate that your AC needs professional cleaning.
There are many benefits of professional AC cleaning, including:
- Improved Air Quality – If your AC is full of mould and mildew, it can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Professional air con cleaning will remove these contaminants from your AC unit, improve the air quality in your home, and make it safer for everyone to breathe.
- Increased Efficiency – A dirty AC unit must work harder to cool your home, which uses more energy and raises utility bills. Cleaning your AC will help it run more efficiently, saving you money on your monthly energy bills.
- Extended Unit Life – An unclean AC unit is more likely to break down or need repairs than a clean one. Regular professional cleanings will help extend the life of your AC unit, so you don’t have to replace it as often.
- Odour & Smell Elimination – Musty smells aren’t just caused by mould and mildew; they can also be caused by dirt and dust buildup within the unit. A professional cleaning will remove all of these odours from your AC unit so you can enjoy your home’s fresh, clean air.
What Does Our Professional Air Conditioner Cleaning Include?
Your air conditioner works hard to keep your home cool and comfortable all summer. But as it runs, it collects dust, dirt, and other debris. Over time, this can cause your AC to smell musty.
Our professional AC cleaning includes:
- Pre-check and test the air conditioner temperature and fans to ensure the unit works.
- Check the surroundings and protect them with a waterproof tarp.
- Remove filters and unit cover and take them outside to clean and sanitise.
- Spray treatment foam kills mould and bacteria and loosens dirt from coils, drains, fans, fan housing and filters. Leave it for 5-10 min to activate.
- Using a pressure hose, fully wash the treatment out with clean water.
- Flush and check the drain to ensure there are no possible leaks.
- Check fan blades and covers for corrosion and/or grime.
- Spray the unit with sanitiser and antifungal products to prevent mould and bacteria from regrowing.
- Reassemble all components, dry excess moisture on or around the aircon unit and test airflow again. Clean and tidy, leaving the area as we found it.
- Provide a completed next service sticker with recommendations for future aircon high performance.
How Often Should You Get an AC Clean?
Like most people, you probably don’t think about your air conditioner until it starts making strange noises or blowing warm air. But just because you can’t see or hear your AC doesn’t mean it doesn’t need regular maintenance. So one of the most important things you can do for your AC is to have it cleaned by a professional regularly.
So how often should you get an AC cleaned? The answer depends on a few factors, including the type of air conditioner you have, your climate, and how often you use your AC.
If you have a ducted or split system air conditioner, the general rule is to have it cleaned once a year. However, if you live in an area with high humidity or smog, you may need to have it cleaned more often. And if you have allergies or asthma, you may want to get an AC cleaned more frequently since dirty filters can exacerbate these conditions.
In general, it’s best to schedule an AC clean when you know your unit will be getting heavy use.
DIY Tips to Keep Your AC Smelling Fresh
When it comes to keeping your AC smelling fresh, there are a few DIY tips you can follow to help:
- Make sure you regularly change your AC filter. A clean filter will help to remove any bad smells that may be coming from your AC unit.
- Keep your AC unit clean by regularly wiping it down with a damp cloth. This will help to remove any dirt or dust that could be causing the musty smell.
- Consider using an air freshener in your AC unit to help keep the air smelling fresh and clean.
It’s important to never ignore musty smells in your home, as it could be a sign of an issue with your air conditioner. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help ensure your AC runs efficiently and smells fresh all year. Professional AC cleaners are the best way to ensure everything works properly and that any lingering odours will be handled quickly. Don’t wait until the problem becomes too big – call The 99 People today!